Biba Logo landlord insurance from Portwood's - title picture Biba Logo
Unoccupied Property

Buy to let

Over 65
Travel Insurance
Over 70
Travel Insurance
Over 75
Travel Insurance
Over 80
Travel Insurance

Home Contents Insurance

The home contents insurance section usually covers the following:-

  • Fire lightning explosion earthquake

  • Riot

  • Malicious Damage (not by you, tenants or paying guests)

  • Impact by aircraft, animals or vehicles

  • Storm or flood (not to fences, gates, hedges or railings)

  • Theft or attempted theft (not by deception)

  • Subsidence, ground heave or landslip (not coastal or river bank erosion, solid floor slabs, settlement, shrinkage, expansion, demolition, faulty workmanship or design)

  • Water leaking from fixed appliances, freezing or forcible and violent bursting

  • Falling trees or branches, lampposts or telegraph poles

  • Oil leaking from any fixed appliance pipe or tank

  • Accidental damage of fixed glass in furniture, mirrors or ceramic hobs in unfixed kitchen appliances

  • Breakage or collapse of satellite, television- receiving or television aerials

  • Accidental damage to audio, hi-fi television telecommunication or video equipment (not mobile phones), computers (not laptops) computer software, hand-held computers or electronic toys, satellite television receiving equipment


  • Accidental damage to the contents not in the open, not if the home is sublet, clothing or contact lenses


  • Your liability as OCCUPIER of the home or as private individuals

  • Excludes use of vehicles and craft

  • Liability assumed under contract or injury to your family or damage to your own property is not covered

  • Excludes dangerous dog act 

  • Excludes non-domesticated animals.


  • Contents in the Open

  • Temporary removal (not all perils above apply) and theft must be by forcible and violent entry. Money may be excluded at your place of work

  • Damage caused by professional removal 

  • Increase of sum insured for gifts

  • Tenants improvements if you are a tenant

  • Index linking - increase the sums insured each year

  • Jury Service

  • Alternative accommodation

  • Replacing locks following loss or theft of keys

  • Fatal accident cover - usually following assault, passenger in road and rail, assault

  • Prams and wheelchairs

  • Frozen food deterioration

  • Title Deeds

This is a guide only. As is usual - refer to your own policy or ask your broker if you have any queries about the cover under your own policy.

Back to Home Page | Home contents insurance quotes