Biba Logo Portwood Logo

Biba Logo

Home Page >...> Travel Insurance > Backpacker Travel Insurance > Citybond

Citybond Backpacker Travel Insurance

Citybond Backpacker Travel Insurance is one of the policies that B Portwood & Co Ltd offer through our travel insurance quotation system. There are two different levels of cover: Premier and Economy.

Full information about this backpacker travel insurance scheme i.e. the premium  is provided in the quotation system, including a copy of the policy wording and policy summary (Key facts document).

Below is some very general information on this travel insurance scheme to help you decide if it is the one for you.

Some travel insurance schemes do not provide a specific backpacker travel insurance scheme, but rather a generalised long stay scheme. If that is the case then both schemes are noted.


Backpacker Premier Backpacker Economy
Maximum Period of Trip 18 months 18 months
Maximum Age of Travel



Can Return Home Midway?



Standard Policy Excess £65.00 £75.00 (£100 medical)
Medical Expenses Cover £10,000,000 £10,000,000
Passport Cover £500 £250.
Cancellation Cover £5,000 £1,000
Luggage sum insured £2,000 £500

Sporting/ work activities covered

Since young travelers have an independent streak they often engage in hazardous sporting activities on their trips. They also may do some light work to raise money. Below are details of activities this insurance policy will cover.

abseiling (within organiser’s guidelines), administrative or clerical occupations, aerobics, amateur athletics (track and field), archaeological digging, archery, assault course, badminton, banana boating, bar/restaurant work, baseball, basketball, beach games, billiards/snooker/pool, body boarding (boogie boarding), bowls, bungee jumping/swoop (within organisers guidelines), camel riding *, canoeing (up to grade 2 rivers), clay pigeon shooting *, climbing (on climbing wall only), cricket, cross country running (non competitive), croquet, curling, cycling (no racing), deep sea fishing, driving any motorised vehicle (other than a Quad bike) for which you are licensed to drive in the United Kingdom (other than in motor rallies or competitions) *, elephant riding/trekking *, falconry, fell walking/running, fencing, fishing, fives, flying as a fare paying passenger in a fully licensed passenger carrying aircraft, football (amateur only and not main purpose of trip), fruit or vegetable picking (non-mechanical), glass bottom boats *, Gliding (under instruction) *, go karting (within organisers guidelines) *, golf, handball, horse riding (excluding competitions, racing, jumping and hunting) *, hot air ballooning (organised pleasure rides only), hovercraft driving/passenger *, hurling (amateur only and not main purpose of trip), ice skating (1 day maximum), indoor climbing (on climbing wall), jet boating (no racing) *, jet skiing (no racing) *, jogging, Karting (no racing) *, kayaking (up to grade 2 rivers), korfball, marathon running (non professional), motor cycling (full UK licence held) *, mountain biking (no racing), netball, octopush, orienteering, paint balling/war games (wearing eye protection) *, parachuting (tandem only), parascending (over water), pony trekking, power boating (no racing and non-competitive) *, racket ball, rambling, refereeing (amateur only), ringos, roller skating/blading/in line skating, (wearing pads and helmets), rounders, rowing (no racing), running (non-competitive and not marathon), safari trekking (must be organised tour), sailing/yachting (if qualified or accompanied by a qualified person, and no racing) *, sand boarding/surfing/skiing, sand yachting (no racing) *, scuba diving up to depth of 30 metres (if PADI or equivalent qualified or accompanied by qualified instructor and not diving alone), small bore target shooting / rifle range shooting (within organisers guidelines) *, skateboarding, sledging (not on snow), snorkelling, softball, spear fishing (without tanks), speed sailing (no racing) *, squash, students working as counsellors or university exchanges for practical course work (not manual work), surfing, swimming, swimming with dolphins/elephants, Sydney harbour bridge (walking across clipped onto safety line), table tennis, tall ship crewing (no racing) *, ten pin bowling, tennis, trampolining, tree canopy walking, trekking/hiking/endurance activities up to 3,000 metres above sea level, tug of war, volleyball, wake boarding, water polo, water skiing/water ski jumping, whale watching, white water rafting (up to grade 2 rivers), wind surfing/sailboarding *, wind tunnel flying, zip lining/trekking (safety harness must be worn), zorbing/hydro zorbing/sphering

Activities marked with a '*' exclude liability cover.

Activities must be for recreational use only, must be legal and safety equipment must we worn where approrpiate.

Cover for manual work will be provided where such work is solely in a voluntary capacity for a charity registered under the Charity Commission in England, and Wales, the Scottish charity regulator or the Department for Social Development in Northern Ireland, and where there is no financial gain. In such circumstances, there will be no cover for hands on involvement with the installation, assembly, maintenance, repair or use of heavy electrical, mechanical or hydraulic plant or machinery, or for working more than 3 metres above the ground, and there is no cover under Sections D – Personal accident and G - Personal liability.

Manual work is defined as:
any manual labour which includes but not limited to:
• using, installing or maintaining equipment or machinery; or
• building or construction work.

Additional Comments about this specific travel insurance policy

As well as allowing you to return home and set off again, this policy allows you to stop-over in higher rated areas for up to 3 days on the outward and return trips, so if you are going to Australia or New Zealand you could stop overnight in Singapore for instance.

We hope you don't need it but the policy will pay up to £500 to cover your parent's cost to come and see you if you are incarcerated lawfully (put in jail) for at least 4 weeks.

If you are going to study abroad then study cover is available covering course fees (£2,000) and computers (£1,000) for £45.00 + IPT (6 months), £85.00 + IPT (12 months) or £135.00 + IPT (18 months). IPT is currently 20% (Sep 2011). Read the policy for limitations and exclusions.

If you are interested e.g. the additional benefits then please call us - sample quotes: 12 months Europe economy = £156.00 (Inc IPT), 12 months USA premier = £354.60 (Inc IPT)

Policy Summary | Policy Document

Comments on backpacker travel insurance generally.

Always check on the activities that are covered (shown above) if you intend doing them. (We can arrange cover for high risk activities for anyone even if they have already left the country). If you have any medical conditions check that they are covered using the screening number we will supply at the quotation stage.

Links to other backpacker travel insurance policies

Ageas | Citybond | Coe Basic | Coe Excel | Coe Study Abroad | Holman | JBI | PJ Hayman | Rock Economy | Rock Standard | Rock Premier | Sunworld | SunworldeconomyWebroker

Return to main backpacker travel insurance web-page | Quotation for backpacker travel insurance

cheap annual travel insurance - end of page