Biba Logo landlord insurance from Portwood's - title picture Biba Logo
Unoccupied Property

Buy to let

Over 65
Travel Insurance
Over 70
Travel Insurance
Over 75
Travel Insurance
Over 80
Travel Insurance

Home Buildings Insurance

The home buildings insurance section usually covers the following:-

  • Fire lightning explosion earthquake

  • Riot

  • Malicious Damage (not by you, tenants or paying guests)

  • Impact by aircraft, animals or vehicles

  • Storm or flood (not to fences, gates, hedges or railings)

  • Theft or attempted theft (not by deception)

  • Subsidence, ground heave or landslip (not coastal or river bank erosion, solid floor slabs, settlement, shrinkage, expansion, demolition, faulty workmanship or design)

  • Water leaking from fixed appliances, freezing or forcible and violent bursting

  • Falling trees or branches, lampposts or telegraph poles

  • Accidental damage of fixed glass, fixed sanitary ware, ceramic hobs in fixed kitchen furniture

  • Breakage or collapse of satellite, television- receiving or television aerials

  • Accidental damage to cables and underground pipes


  • Accidental damage to the buildings not caused by tenants or workmen


  • Your liability as OWNER of the buildings and land, but not as occupier

  • Prior ownership of property under the Defective Premises act 1972

  • Liability assumed under contract or injury to your family or damage to your own property is not covered.


  • The cost of reasonable alternative accommodation, ground rent or loss of rent due to you if the home be uninhabitable after an insured event

  • Replacing locks if keys lost or stolen (check your policy as some limit it to theft only)

  • Tracing Leaks in water pipes

  • Index linking - increase the sums insured each year

  • Selling your home - if you have contracted to sell your home at the time of the claim the buyer will have the benefit of the policy

This is a guide only. As is usual - refer to your own policy or ask your broker if you have any queries about the cover under your own policy.

Back to Home Page | Home buildings insurance quotes

landlords insurance

Buy to let insurance and cheap single trip/ annual travel insurance is available from our home page.