For Landlord Insurance, home insurance
Unoccupied property insurance

145 Newgate Street
Bishop Auckland
Co Durham
DL14 7EN
Tel: 01388 607105

landlord Insurance Experts - B Portwood & Co Ltd

For Travel Insurance,
Caravan insurance
(and anything else)

44 Medomsley Road
Co Durham
Tel: 01207 509446

Landlord Insurance

Landlord Insurance for the accidental and professional landlord. It provides both buildings insurance and landlord contents insurance of residential property in the UK. Also included is loss of rent cover, property owner's liability. Landlord insurance is available for Assured Short term tenancy agreements, DSS referrals, asylum seekers, students and HMOs at a competitive premium. Generous discounts for landlords requiring multiple property insurance, increasing the excess, or with a no claims bonus.

Quickquote for landlord insurance

Only sums insured required. Landlords can obtain insurance quotes without entering any personal information.

Quickquote for landlord insurance

Full Quote for landlord insurance

For landlords wanting confirmation of the premium for insurance. Enter details to receive statement of facts and then decide to buy online - or call us to discuss insurance requirements or answer any queries.

landlord buildings and contents insurance - full quote and buy
Ask Ciindy  - Home Insurance
Insurance for travel
Ask Ciindy - Travel Insurance

Key features of our residential landlord insurance

  • Up to 1,000,000 buildings insurance available online. Quotes for higher buildings insurance available on request. Minimum 6-month rental agreements between landlord and tenant/ organisation responsible for tenant.

  • One rate for buildings insurance anywhere outside the London Area. Major cities such as Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle are lowest rated for landlord buildings insurance. Landlord insurance in London is slightly more expensive - but still competitive.

  • Accidental damage insurance is available for all tenant types.

  • Low standard excess on insurance policy (75.00) - Save up to 30% by increasing the excess (subject to minimum premiums/ property)

  • Escape of water excess is only 150.00 (unless a higher exess is taken)

  • Quotes are available for landlords insurance to cover Students.

  • Quotes are available for landlords insurance to cover Asylum Seekers provided the agreement is with G4S or Local Governments.

  • Quotes are available for landlords insurance to cover DSS referrals.

  • Insurance is available for landlords of holiday homes. (Whether the holiday home is for own use or is let out, insurance is available.)

  • (Landlords renting to people on low income e.g. unemployed, retired where the agreement is between the landlord and tenant are rated at standard rates - the same as those where the tenant pays the full rental direct to the landlord,  commonly called 'professional lets')

  • In addition to landlord insurance for buildings and contents the following covers are available: -

    • Legal Expenses Cover

    • Rent Guarantee and Legal Expenses

    • Loss adjustor cover

    • Home emergency/ boiler breakdown cover

Available to other Intermediaries

Our scheme is available should other intermediaries (sub-broking) or letting/ estate agents (IAR status) request.

Information about our landlord insurance scheme. : For Brokers Broker Login

Commercial Landlords Insurance

Insurance Quotes for up to 3,000,000 buildings sum insured for most type of commercial property let out e.g. shops and offices, single and multi-tenure risks, unoccupied commercial property, holiday homes, hotels and guest houses. Land owners and resident associations liability must be referred. Quotes can include accidental damage, subsidence, (terrorism on request). All quotes must be referred for confirmation of premiums at the moment.

Commercial Landlords Insurance

Enter sums insured and type of property for immediate quotes. No personal details needed.

Quickquote for commercial landlord insurance

Landlords Insurance for multiple properties

Special rates for landlords insurance is available for the professional landlord owning multiple properties on a property portfolio. With a generous discount of up to 20% on standard rates and reduced fees, the premiums are extremely competitive. However we also go the extra mile to make life easier for landlords. All tenancies - standard, DSS lets, asylum seekers, students, HMOs, can be insured.

  • We will accept new properties, even those unoccupied or being renovated onto the policy.

  • We only need 3 properties to be covered on this portfolio insurance.

  • As we quote for all types of tenants, there is no need to have several landlord insurance policies.

  • Quotes are available online (as is the ability to purchase the insurance) - however we will, of course discuss your needs if you call us.

Quickquote for multiple property insurance for landlords

A minimal amount of information is needed from the landlord. No need to spend time entering full details of each property to obtain the multiple property insurance quote.

Quickquote for landlord portfolio insurance

Full quote and buy landlord insurance for portfolios

Obtain a statement of fact. Either buy the insurance online or contact us and we will discuss your requirements.

landlord Portfolio insurance quotes - Full quote

Landlord Insurance for non-standard risks

Own a property of non-standard construction? Has had previous subsidence? Is in an area that may be subject to flooding? As well as our own scheme, which will consider each case on its own merit if details are referred to us, we have access to other specialist insurers who can cater for non-standard risks. Please call us with full information including that pertinent to the reason why such a risk is not standard.

Unoccupied Property Insurance

Bought a property to 'do up' and then let out? Moving home? Owner died or gone into a nursing home? Our unoccupied property insurance is available for all types of unoccupied property. We cover property that needs renovating, even structural renovations. There are two levels of cover: -

  • Full - basically the same as a normal landlord insurance policy. To qualify for this level of landlord insurance the property must have 5-lever door locks and window locks, be inspected weekly (and a record kept) and the central heating system either drained or kept on constantly at 15C. Not available for property being structurally renovated.

  • Limited - generally excludes wet perils. Cover is still much wider than FLEA (that many policies are restricted).

When a tenant moves in - just call us. We will transfer the policy over from being on an unoccupied basis to a normal buy to let policy. There will be no need to cancel the policy and it is extremely likely there will be a return premium

(The policy is available for unoccupied property that is NOT going to be let out - if sold we can cancel the policy, if you move in then we can convert it to a home insurance policy at competitive premiums)

Quickquote for unoccupied property Insurance

To find out if our insurance is competitively priced. No personal details needed.

Quick Quote unoccupied property insurance

Quote and buy unoccupied property insurance


Use this to obtain a written quote and statement of facts. The insurance policy does not have to be purchased once the quote is obtained. Any queries please call us and we'll sort out your needs for insurance.

landlord buildings and contents insurance

A landlord insurance comparison

To check whether our landlord insurance was competitive we made a landlord insurance comparison on several other landlord insurance providers.  The landlord insurance comparison confirmed landlords can save money with our product. Not only that our excesses (when compared to other landlord insurers) are usually much lower - and our product is backed by an ethical landlord insurance provider. Here are the results of our comparison, with examples of insurance for DSS referrals, asylum seekers, HMOs when appropriate. Full results of the landlord insurance comparison are available : -

(results of our landlord insurance comparison were correct at the time, however rates fluctuate and we cannot guarantee that they remain correct.)

Home Insurance - from 109.50

We also offer, in addition to landlords insurance, a home insurance policy. A special home insurance scheme is available through our scheme provider offering combined buildings and contents insurance from 109.50 - to cover 50,000 contents and up to 500,000 buildings as standard. Other policies are available for home owners needing cover over and beyond these standard amounts.

Bedroom Rated

(For customers wanting insurance with no adverse features - maximum one claim up to 5,000 in last 3 years - immediate cover available.).

Bedroom rated home insurance

Sum Insured Rated

(Non standard property, high sums insured etc. As Insurance Brokers we'll view suitable risks sympathetically. )

Full quote for home insurance

Home Emergency Cover for landlords

Is available for landlords or owner occupiers, full policy wording available,  to cover, amongst other eventualities, failure of boilers up to 15 years old. The premium is 69.00 for single buy to let property policies or 54.75 per qualifying property for portfolios/ owner occupied houses. A Guide to the cover is available here.

Home Emergency Cover for Owner/ Occupiers or tenants

Home Insurance (not landlord) Policies taken out with cover commencing on or after 1st April 2016 will incorporate FREE HOME EMERGENCY COVER incorporating:-

  • Failure of Boiler/ Central Heating System (up to 15 years old and 60Kw

  • Escape of water

  • Breakdown of sole toilet

  • Removal of wasps nests

  • Failure of Mains Services

  • Failure of underground services for which you are responsible

  • Damage to roof.

  • Includes up to 250.00 for emergency overnight accomodation

  • Policy limits : 500 (inc VAT) per claim, 1,500 per year. Terms and conditions apply.

Important Note that could affect landlord insurance policies

Landlord insurance providers are already adding this into their policy terms and conditions.

From October 2015when the premises are occupied under a tenancy or a licence a carbon monoxide alarm must be provided by the landlord in any room in premises which is used wholly or partly as living accommodation which contains a solid fuel burning combustion appliance. This applies to any kind of wood burning stove or an open coal fire. It will also extend to equipment such as a solid fuel Aga in the kitchen. This is already a requirement with new installations of solid fuel burning combustion appliances as under Building Regulations there is a requirement to install a carbon monoxide alarm. This is now extended to any existing appliances already in place before Building Regulations imposed this requirement or where building regulations are not observed.

Similarly the landlord must place a smoke detector on every story on the property.

The landlord is specifically required to carry out a check to ensure that smoke alarms or carbon monoxide alarms installed to comply with the Regulations are in proper working order on the day a tenancy begins where it is a new tenancy. A new tenancy is a tenancy granted on or after 1st October 2015.

Some properties are exempt:

  • A tenancy under which the occupier shares any accommodation with the landlord or a member of the landlord's family. There must be a sharing of an amenity which includes a toilet, personal washing facilities, a kitchen or a living room but excludes any reference to storage or access.
  • A tenancy which is a long lease or which grants a right of occupation of the premises, i.e. for more than 21 years.
  • Student halls of residence.
  • Hostels
  • Care homes
  • Hospitals
  • Accommodation relating to health care provision

Landlords Insurance premium tax increase

The chancellor has amended tax treatment of buy to let property owners. This should not affect landlord insurance in any way other than the increase in IPT to 9.5% in November. Additional premiums will incur tax at the higher rate, return premiums for policies effective before Novermber 2015 will be subject to the lower rate of tax.


Landlord Insurance Companies

As insurance brokers we also have access to landlords insurance through various companies/ wholesalers

Cover for landlords is available through other providers if needed .

Areas Covered under landlord insurance

Note that we only provide landlord insurance for properties situated in the UK, London, and Northern Ireland. However the owner needing to cover the property may be resident anywhere in the world. (Landlord insurance in London offers great value. A house with a rebuilding cost of 500,000 in London area, could still be insured for less than 400.00 )

This site does NOT use cookies.

More information - companies we use, cover etc | Article and comments and news

Site Map for insurance products : Scope of permission : About Us: history, location, ethos etc

Link to our IDD (Initial Disclosure Document)

Compare quotes Redwood JustTravelcover