Biba Logo for HMO details landlord insurance from Portwood's - title picture Biba Logo - Houses Multiple Occupation


Landlord Insurance

Insurance of Bedsits and HMOs - Homes of multiple occupation

Landlord insurance for bedsits and HMOs can be substantially more expensive than single tenants.

Although not needed for insurance, you may need to have a property licence. You may be aware that a property licence is required for landlords owning properties where more than two householders live together. You can read about the property licence laws online. 

The legislation brought into effect by the government from April 6th 2006 meant that any landlord which lets a property which is considered a house in multiple occupation now needs to have a property licence under certain circumstances. A household is generally considered as members of the same family which live together or married couples. A house of multiple occupations is generally any property which houses three or more 'households' which share facilities such as the kitchen, toilet or bathroom.

There are different types of bedsits, depending on the type of tenant therein and landlord insurance companies look at them in different ways.

  • Professional bedsits are houses occupied by multiple people but they all have tenancy agreements with the landlord. These are the easiest and cheapest to insure, but will be at a premium.

  • Students: We have several landlord schemes specifically targeted at property occupied by students.

  • DSS: These are the most expensive type of property for landlords to insure, individuals and families are housed by Social Services and the landlord has little, if any, control over the type or nature of the tenants or their period of occupancy.

Click for your quote for landlord insurance Quote and Buy Online - immediate cover. (up to 7 asylum seeker individuals/ families)

Multi Property Landlord Insurance

For landlords owning over four properties we offer our Multi Property landlord insurance contract with reduced rates, fees and easy administration.

Landlord Insurance is one of many of our products. Above all we aim to help our customers in all aspects of insurance.

Compare Landlord Insurance

Compare our landlord insurance rates with

Other Insurance

More Landlord Insurance

Tenant Types

This site does NOT use cookies. Any information provided will be used solely for the arrangement and administration of non-investment insurance policies.

More about landlord's house insurance - companies we use, cover, boiler breakdown etc

For other products other than insurance for landlords or travel insurance, click here.

We only provide insurance for the UK market. For links to sites in the American Insurance market click here. (we have no control over content of other insurance websites and make no recommendation as to the suitability of insurance products offered thereon)

Site Map

Scope of permission

Link to our initial disclosure document

Portwood Insurance Brokers

We have been insurance brokers for over 55 years and aimed to give advice to customers about their 'demands and needs'. Unless you call us our products are offered on a 'non-advised' basis - it will your responsibility to ensure the product is suitable on the information provided. If you contact us advice will be provided and a recommendation made on the appropriate policy

If you would like to offer some feedback about our firm/ site/ service then please click here.

B Portwood & Co Ltd is incorporated in the United Kingdom. Our registered office is 44 Medomsley Road, Consett, Co Durham. DH8 5HA. Our company number is 785468. We are registered under the Data Protection Act. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the arrangement and administration of non-investment insurance contracts. Our registration number is 300694. This may be checked by viewing the FCA register or calling them on 0800 111 6768.

For any further help: please call us on 01388 607105 if you need any further information.

We are happy to recommend for printer ink cartridges and laser toner cartridges

About Us | IDD | Travel Insurance | Domestic Appliance Warranty | Home Page | Liability Insurance |